CORINNE DOBBAS: CHOOSING GRATITUDE OVER DEPRIVATION (INTERVIEW)
So grateful to have Corinne Dobbas here today! I love finding other dietitians who guide women to look within rather than create diets or external rules around food. Read her incredible story below and all the beautiful lessons she has to share, especially what she would say to her former self.
EVERY WOMAN HAS THEIR OWN UNIQUE STORY. CAN YOU TELL US ‘YOUR STORY’ WITH FOOD OR BODY IMAGE?
Crazy calorie counting; “working off” a meal, or embarrassingly enough, a certain food, if it didn’t fit my “rules;” wishing my thighs were slimmer, my stomach pooch was gone, and the cellulite on my right upper thigh would just go away already – all patterns, actions, and thoughts that kept me stuck in a never-ending cycle of self-hate, body loathing, and never feeling good enough.
My own food rules, body bashing, and constantly feeling like I was never enough kept me from being free. And now (10 plus years later) that I am finally “free,” I can whole-heartedly say that I didn’t even realize how much my dislike for myself was holding me back from living life; from being able to live in the present – one of the biggest gifts we can give ourselves.
At the time, I was always looking for a new diet or exercise craze. And it wasn’t until I learned to start loving myself, exactly as I was, in the present moment that I got truly healthy, in body, mind, soul, and spirit.
Over the years I’ve learned that they key is to look on the inside (not the outside) because we have everything we need right now to grow. So often we look on the outside for approval, acceptance, and love, but what we don’t realize is that all of that comes from the inside. And once we start working on our inner selves, our outer world starts to align with who it is we really want to become and everything naturally falls into place.
The first step to doing this is realizing that you, yes YOU, are enough. That you are worthy of change. And that you can do it.
WHAT ARE THE TWO BIGGEST LESSONS YOU LEARNED IN ORDER TO HEAL DISORDERED EATING AND BODY SHAME?
To focus on gratitude and that deprivation doesn’t work.
We can’t move forward (and most importantly, stay there) when we’re beating ourselves up and hating on our bodies. The flip needs to be switched and the magic ingredient to do that is gratitude.
Our bodies do so much for us and it’s only when we start to appreciate that that we’ll take loving actions that nourish and support our bodies.
Keeping a body love or gratitude journal and simply bullet pointing one thing that you’re grateful for about your body and/or yourself can be transformative.
The second lesson is that deprivation never works. We always want what we can’t have. And once we start to set foods as “off limits,” they become the only limit we focus on. You end up going for what you wanted (plus some) and in an endless cycle of shame and guilt. Once here, you deprive, get too hungry, binge, and repeat …
Leave the guilt and shame (and deprivation) at the door. Show up to your meal with an intention, tune-in, and honor your hungry and fullness.
IF YOU COULD WRITE A LETTER TO YOUR FORMER SELF, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT HER TO KNOW?
That love is on the other side of fear.
That I have the power to change my world.
That the words I speak to myself can shrink or empower.
That weight doesn’t determine happiness.
That I’m deserving of love, as I am right now.
That I’m good enough, as I am right now.
That I’m pretty enough, as I am right now.
That I’m enough.
LET’S CHAT TOOLS. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS, TOOLS, APPS, COACHES, ETC. THAT HAVE HELPED YOU ALONG YOUR JOURNEY.
- My journal – full of gratitudes, ideas, emotions I just needed to let go of, and much, much more
- Daily meditation – allows me to live in the present and slow everything down
- My coach – my beautiful life coach, Alisa, from Awake in Joy • The Four Agreements – a book everyone should truly read- so simple yet so profound
- Calm.com – a meditation app and website (obsessed)
- Cheryl Richardson’s newsletter and podcast – I love her, sooo honest, real and inspirational
- Brene Brown’s TED talks, books, and research – she’s a-w-e-s-o-m-e (yes! take 20 minutes today to watch a TED talk from her)
- Supportive girlfriends doing the same kind of work- they keep me motivated, inspired and from feeling alone
- My fur family (we have 2 dogs and 2 cats) – they bring so much joy
- Nature walks – getting outside has been beautifully restorative for the soul and comforting
- The women I coach – I’ve grown just as much from them as they have from me
- My Angel Cards – I LOVE Doreen Virtue’s Angel Oracle Cards. I use these daily for guidance or when I’m in a funk to ask a question. They comfort the soul:)
- Gabby Bernstein’s talks, books, and vlogs, etc – I adore her books
- Reframing + positive self-talk + all that good stuff- All the work I do with clients, I do myself
WHAT KEEPS YOU INSPIRED, ALIVE, AND VIBRANT THESE DAYS?
The desire to show up and serve others and to continue growing myself. I used to be afraid of getting out there and speaking my truth. But now, (more than ever) sharing what I’ve learned with other kind, caring, compassionate women, so they can move forward in their journey makes me feel blessed.
Favorite place… Anywhere that I can walk or hike, be surrounded by nature, and feel safe.
Bucket list travel location… Australia
Favorite way to move your body… Walking/hiking in nature.
Quote you love? “As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health – food, people, situations and everything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Today, I know it as ‘love of oneself.'” – Charlie Chaplin
WE’D LOVE TO SUPPORT YOU. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON THESE DAYS?
A 6-week virtual training program designed for kind, caring, compassionate women who are looking for tools, support, knowledge & wisdom on how to transform their relationship with food, their body & themselves.
I’m SO excited to (finally!) be launching this course! I know it’ll be full of an amazing group of beautiful women. You can see the details here.
ALL ABOUT CORINNE
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IN THE COMMENTS BELOW (+ GO GIVE CORINNE SOME LOVE!)
- Can you name one thing about your body that you are grateful for today?