WholeYou #4: Translating the Wisdom of Yoga into Daily Life
The WholeYou: the Mind + Body + Spirit Show
Welcome back to WholeYou #4! It's been a few months through the holidays, and when I was away traveling, but this was such a fun conversation. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Audio Note: You’ll notice that the audio has a little bit of distortion at parts — it’s not too bad, but you might wonder if there are little gremlins whispering on the recording. ;) We did our best once we realized the issue, and will work on fixing it before we record next time!
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts on our first few shows. We really appreciate you taking the time to listen and share your thoughts. If you like the show, subscribe on iTunes for automatic shows or leave a review!
In this show, we chat about our experiences from our yoga teacher trainings - I did mine at the end of last year, and Valerie is in the middle of hers right now. I shared lessons from my YTT in two recent blog posts, so we broke those down to expand and explore them more. There's a lot more to yoga than you often see in studios or on social media, so we hope these lessons guide you in your personal journey.
Here's what we chat about:
- What “yoga” really means
- It’s about much more than just the physical asana practice — more about some of the original purposes of yoga
- The importance of finding your own personal practice and voice
- Body diversity in yoga (and taking the Instagram yoga world with a grain of salt)
- How moving slowly in your practice can benefit you
- Respecting boundaries as a yoga teacher
- Some key points about trauma-sensitive yoga
- How yoga can help you learn to trust your body even more
We'd LOVE to hear your thoughts, so if you take a listen, please leave a comment on your thoughts, or any questions or ideas you have.
So, go ahead and take a listen!
Show Notes & Quotes
- Our eBook, Hips, Hunger, & the Pursuit of Healing
- A hilarious comedy youtube show - "Namaste Bitches" by Summer Chastant on the underground world of yoga, social media, and the superficial representations of "yoga"
- Awesome body positive yogis on Instagram - @mynameisjessamyn and @nolatrees - Check out their workshops across the country too!
- Online yoga practice - YogaGlo.com, OneOEight.Tv, Gaia, Cody App plans (Join for $10 off your first plan!)
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- Janne Robinson
- “There is more wisdom in the body than your deepest philosophy.” by Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Love the Shit out of Yourself." - my favorite quote from YTT by Kaudri Kurgun, meditation and yoga teacher
- Lauren's posts on YTT Lessons Part 1 and Part #2
- Val’s blog post on the 5 levels of the mind in yoga (and how to chill out)
More from Valerie
- Blog: WakingUpinWonder
- Instagram: @ValKay (shout out to #wholeyou)!
- Get your free Meditation App Resource Guide and Mind + Body + Spirit Guided Meditation
More from Lauren
- Blog: LaurenFowler.co
- Connect over on Instagram: @NourishingYoga and tag #wholeyoushow
- Make Peace with Food free Email Course (below)
*Music credit for our mini theme song is Little Idea from Bensound.com. Thanks, Ben!