Hola amigas! I'm off to Spain for a much-needed vacation the next two-ish weeks, but didn't want to leave the blog empty. We haven't done a round-up post in a while, so I threw together a TON of my favorite posts that I've read lately (I'm always reading...) for you all.
I'm taking a mini-break from social media while I'm gone, but I'm sure I'll be all over Instagram, so let's connect over there. If you've been to Barcelona, Valencia, or Murcia, let me know what I MUST check out. My only plans so far are to walk around, explore, eat paella, drink vino, & practice the Spanish I learned back in high school. I've been practicing using the Duolingo app, which actually has been fantastic and super fun!
Hope your Spring has been lovely so far. As the weather starts warming up, I can also noticing a change in my mood and energy towards growth. The winter is typically a time of reflection and inner focus, so it's nice to see blooming happening in the inside of me, as well as hopefully outside with flowers. Embrace the seasonal changes!
Lovely Links & Quotes
- While external support is incredible, we all have the power to self-heal as well...
"Each of us is such a powerful being. You are so capable of offering yourself healing when you need it and you are so deserving of doing things that feel therapeutic for you."
- Use the 8 C's: calmness, curiosity, clarity, compassion, confidence, creativity, courage, and connectedness to accept ALL parts of yourself. My co-author Valerie gives an introduction to a powerful therapeutic tool called Internal Family Systems (IFS) and explains why your eating disorder isn't actually your enemy.
- I can't tell you how many clients feel guilty for taking time for themselves. Self-care is not selfish...it's necessary. By taking care of yourself and infusing your days with simple pleasures like this at-home-spa idea, you'll feel refreshed and restored...and so pampered!
- A little more on self-care: "Self-care, just like self-love, is an ongoing practice. It requires that we show up every day, that we devote wholeheartedly to ourselves."
- Oh, yes. You're gonna want to quit. You'll want to stay in your safe zone, your comfort zone. Change is hard and uncomfortable...but don't quit.
- I've been learning a little about Ayurveda lately and absolutely love its seasonal approach. Here's 4 ayurvedic spring self-care practices.
"I say that it's important to be healthy and happy and visible, no matter what your size. I say that even if you aren't in your personal-best shape, that doesn't mean you should hide out until you're a socially acceptable size. I say that respecting your body with real love is the primary step in health."
- I go to yoga to practice presence in my body...not to detox or 'slim down.' Here's how to protect yourself from thinspiration disguised as yoga.
- Laughing so hard. "Gluten free living used to be a luxury only for the few with a gluten allergy. Gluten Freedom can now be yours with the new age wisdom."
- Following that video with a great post by Chris Kresser on "When Gluten-Free Is Not a Fad."
- On medicating women's feelings & sensitivity rather than accepting (& celebrating) our emotions as part of a "healthy, adaptive part of our biology."
- Always worth repeating. Good health is built on the basics, and I will never stop stressing the importance of sleep.
- Kara shares my favorite breathing technique with a video on calming the mind with yoga + nutrition!
- I've been craving so many greens so far this spring. Loving this spring citrus kale salad.
- Simple + delicious: Overnight Oats, Three Ways.
- Chocolate chia pudding cups.
- While I haven't been using it as a detox/cleanse, I've been loving a simple, warming kitchari for lunches lately. Cilantro Coconut Chutney + Healing Kitchari (aryurvedic)
- Creamy Peppermint Coconut Cups
On the Blog Lately:
- This was my favorite post to write lately - all about shaking my hips & how dancing healed my body image.
- While all the interviews are awesome, this one with Kaila Prins is SO full of wisdom, especially about finding your identity outside of food & fitness. It's long, but take time to read all of it!
- Getting honest + vulnerable about the power of sharing your story.
- 5 Steps to Start Eating Intuitively + How to Get Started
- Our new ebook - Hips, Hunger, the Pursuit of Healing - is getting great feedback, and I'm so excited to share it with everyone :)