Time for a fun recipe. I'm not much of a food blogger, but a few weekends ago, I had a blast in the kitchen with my boyfriend. Making cooking fun is a key to actually enjoying food and making delicious, nutrient-rich concoctions. My boyfriend is known for his spicy palette and can handle triple the spice that I can (and I love spicy food!). We whipped up a batch of salsa together. Well, mainly he did. I watched, took pictures, and taste-tested. It counts, right? I'm a lucky girl to taste his delicious kitchen creations, and I thought you may want to try them too.
That's why I'm bringing occasional sweet & spicy recipes to the blog. We split up the salsa into a sweeter batch with the mango in spotlight, followed by a spicier batch featuring habanero. Just warning you - it is SPICY. If you like it hot, go for it! He likes it spicy. I like it sweet.
Pick up the ingredients to whip up a batch tonight. Enjoy for a happy weekend!
Mango Habanero Salsa with Black Beans
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 onion - peeled and quartered
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 habanero (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (or dry beans, soaked)
- 1 mango, chopped
- Cilantro, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Chipotle pepper, grinded
- 2 limes, juiced
Salsa in 7 Steps:
- Lightly drizzle tomatoes, garlic, and onion with olive oil. Broil on baking sheet for 6 minutes. Flip everything, and broil for another 3-4 minutes.
- Chop peppers. Keep seeds of jalapeno and habanero if you want extra spice.
- Chop and add onions, tomatoes, peppers into food processor. Process until smooth. Add mango and black beans and process to keep it chunky.
- Mix jalapeno and habanero seeds with grinded chipotle.
- Add cilantro, sea salt, and lime juice to taste.
- If you're craving extra spice, add some jalapeno or habanero seeds with chipotle.
- Munch with delicious organic tortilla chips!